A well-stocked first-aid kit is a handy thing to have. To be prepared for emergencies:
- Keep a first aid kit in your home and in your car.
- Carry a first aid kit with you or know where you can find one.
- Find out the location of first aid kits where you work.
First aid kits come in many shapes and sizes. You can purchase one from the Red Cross Store. Your local drug store may sell them. You can also make your own. Some kits are designed for specific activities, such as hiking, camping, or boating.
Whether you buy a first aid kit or put one together, make sure it has all the items you may need:
- Include any personal items such as medications and emergency phone numbers or other items your health-care provider may suggest.
- Check the kit regularly.
- Check expiration dates and replace any used or out-of-date contents.